The Patakijiyali Museum at Wurrumiyanga on Bathurst Island was established in the early 2000s by Sister Anne Gardiner to preserve Tiwi history, language and culture. Sister Anne, who moved to Bathurst Island in 1953 as member of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, worked for many years with Tiwi Islanders to ensure their culture and language was documented and persevered for future generations. In 2017, the management of the Patakijiyali Museum was transferred to the Tiwi people. The Museum holds records of important information about the Tiwi dreamtime and spirituality, the Catholic Mission, the role of the Tiwi people during World War II, and the islands’ proud sporting heritage, particularly in Australian Rules football. An interactive space has been developed to help Tiwi students to learn about their culture. The Frangipani Café, which is located next to Museum, is open on Saturday mornings.